Welcome To Our Website
Welcome to one of Chester’s oldest Roman Catholic Churches, St Francis of Assisi. Set in the heart of Chester City Centre, near the Grosvenor Museum and Race Course, it was originally built for the Order of Friars Minor Capuchin. The construction of St Francis Church began in 1862 and was finally finished in 1875. It is now a thriving city Catholic Church serving a wide community over the Chester area.
St. Francis’ Church Welcomes You
We are delighted to be open for worship and to have you here. Everyone joining us is asked to please follow the new Covid guidelines listed below.
The Wednesday Word website publishes the readings for the following Sunday and a reflection on the gospel readings by Fr Henry Wansbrough.
Click on this link to access the website - The Wednesday Word.
Sunday Mass Times
- Saturday 6:30pm - Vigil Mass
- Sunday 8:00am
- Sunday 9:45am - Family Mass
- Sunday 12:00pm - Polish Family Mass
- Sunday 4:30pm - Polish Mass
Saturday and Weekday Mass Times
- Saturday 12:00pm
- Monday 12:00pm
- Tuesday 12:00pm
- Wednesday 12:00pm
- Thursday 12:00pm
- Friday 12:00pm
Confession - The Sacrament of Reconciliation
- Friday 11:00am - 12:00pm
- Saturday 11:00am - 12:00pm
- Saturday 4:00pm - 4:30pm
- Confessions available on request. As long as there is a Priest available within the Friary the sacrament of reconciliation can be heard any time by going to the green door in the car park.
- Brother Jinson (Administrator)
- Brother Michael (Guardian)
- Brother Piotr
- Brother Loarne
- Brother Jim
- Brother Francis
- 01244 351331
- St Francis of Assisi RC Church
- Grosvenor Street
- CH1 2BN
- We encourage the use of face masks
- We encourage the use of the provided sanitiser for your hands
- Respect social distance wherever possible
- The Parish Mass Books can now be used
- My Jesus, I believe that you are in the Blessed Sacrament
- I love you above all things, and I long for you in my soul
- Since I cannot now receive you sacramentally, come at least spiritually into my heart
- As though you are already there, I embrace you and unite myself entirely to you;
- Never permit me to be separated from you, Amen.
Telephone (Not To Be Used For Business Calls)
Postal Address (For Business And Personal Use)
Prayer For Peace
O Prince of peace, one more we hear the guns of war. Once again we see the faces of frightened children. We pray for the people of Ukraine, that they may be granted peace. We pray for the people of Russia, that they may demand peace. We pray for our country, that we may be a positive part of peace-making in the world.
O Prince of peace, lead us from this dark time to a deeper understanding of the global family, so that all may break bread together in the secure embrace of peace. Amen.
St Francis' Repository
Our repository is open and you will find a new range of gift ideas and cards. All purchases go towards the upkeep of the Church and helping our Parish community.
There is a wonderful selection of beautiful gifts, crucifixes, fonts cards, prayer cards, pictures, candles, rosary beads, missionary rosaries and ornaments for sale at very reasonable prices. Additional photos on our 'Gallery' page.
Why not come along and have a look and buy someone special a present!
Following the statement from the Government that Coronavirus restrictions have been abolished in churches after nearly two years, Canon Christopher Thomas, general secretary of the Bishops’ Conference of England and Wales, has said the time had come for people to live with the virus (link to Diocese Of Shrewsbury article available here).
I humbly request all those who come to St. Francis Church respect the following guidelines;
However, please note that these recommendations are no longer mandatory. As always, many thanks to our stewards. Help yourself and others to be safe.
Br Jinson14th February 2022
Shrewsbury Cathedral Online Services
Here is a link to the online masses and services: Shrewsbury Cathedral Webcam
Prayer for an Act of Spiritual Communion